Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Guilty Pleasure

I admit it. I watch a lot of TV. Too much, really. Probably more than the average human should.

And because of that, I have a deep and personal knowledge of television commercials.

Even with the development of DVR, you're bombarded relentlessly every time you flick on the box.

Inevitably, I've become a connoisseur. Not necessarily of television programming, because sometimes you're in the mood for art, drama, high brow humor, and other times you're happy to just watch a little Millionaire Matchmaker.
 
TV comes with its guilty pleasures and I have more than my share of mine.

But you can never completely control the commercials. Even "On Demand" programming through the cable box or on Hulu requires you to endure some form of advertisement.

When you learn so much about a subject, you start to form opinions. Strong opinions. Violent opinions. Sturdy, entrenched opinions made of oak or steel. These are the kinds of opinions that require you to shout them from the rafters (or at your television set, or your husband).

But perhaps the most sane reaction would be to record them for the world and for all time in a blog.

So here we are. I like a lot of commercials. I love some commercials. I hate most commercials.

Most importantly, I think I know why they work and why they don't. I tell myself this all the time -- and I tell my husband almost as often. It's time for me to finally put my money where my mouth is. Or at least put my thoughts into blog form and open the discussion to the floor.

So, let's talk about some commercials. But first, a few words from our sponsors.

No comments:

Post a Comment